Proudly brought to you by the Embassy of the Republic of Korea to the Republic of Singapore (Korean Embassy), the Hansik Contest will bring together 12 teams from around Singapore to find out who is the best K-food chef in town!
Taking place on 14 October at the newly launched Our Tampines Hub, Singapore’s first-ever integrated community and lifestyle hub, the contest invites 12 teams to battle in a cook-off where 6 teams stand to walk away with attractive prizes!
The Hansik Contest is one of the many exciting programs lined up under the main umbrella event, K-Square, a part of the Korean Festival 2017. All prizes of the Hansik Contest will be awarded to the winning teams during the grand opening ceremony of K-Square on 14 October by His Excellency, Mr Lee Sang Deok, Ambassador of the Embassy of the Republic of Korea to the Republic of Singapore.
- Participants need to pair up with a team member of their choice
- Participants must be 18 years old and above
- Participants must be a Singapore citizen
- Each team has to indicate choice of dish they would like to cook on day of contest
- Registration opens till 30 September 2017
Actual Day of Contest
- Teams will be asked to prepare two dishes – Kimchi Jiggae* (Kimchi Stew) & another of their choice
- Total time is 90 minutes
- Ingredients such as Korean rice, sauces, kimchi, vegetables, meat etc will be prepared by the Korean Embassy, contributed by K&J Butchery, CJ Group & KORYO MART
- Participants to bring own raw ingredients & own cookware (pots, pans, chopping board, knives, plates, spoons etc.)
- For a full list of kitchen equipment available at venue, check it out here
*Kimchi Jiggae is a stew-like Korean dish, made with kimchi and other ingredients, such as scallions, onions, diced tofu, pork, and seafood (Pork and seafood are generally not used in the same recipe). It is one of the most common jjigae (stew) in Korea and is a very popular dish in many Korean households.
- Selected panel of judges to independently award scores based on food quality, taste & dish preparation
- 6 Prizes to be won
- Grand Prize – $1,000 cash
- 2nd place – $500 cash
- 3rd place – $300 cash
- 3 consolation prizes – Dining vouchers